THE HISTORY OF SCARPERIA AND THE TRADITION OF CUTTING IRONS
Established by the will of the Florentine Republic, it was born on September 7, 1306 with the name of Castel San Barnaba and then became Scarperia, due to its location at the slope of the Apennines. Since the XV century and even more in the XVI century, handicraft activities for the production of agricultural implements and knives were developed. The processing and sale of knives and cutting irons soon became the most productive activity of the town that remained for many years the only landmark between Florence and Bologna. “The Statute of Cutlers”, drafted to regulate the production and sale, making the rules that all the craftsmen had to comply, including the materials to be used and the relations of masters with other workers, dates back to 1539. The “cooperative company of cutting irons” was founded in 1874. During this period, the craft of the cutlery lived a special moment of luck and expansion. In the following years an increased productive and commercial development continued up to 1908, the year of Giolitti Law, which represents a heavy blow for Scarperia’s economy. That law prohibited and severely restricted the measurement of blades and switchblade knives which could no longer be brought freely. This restriction and the beginning of World War II put a strain on Scarperia’s life, most of the workshops were forced to close, even if in the meanwhile they had focused their production on the reinterpretation of local and regional models, more traditionally used in Italy and in the islands.